Saturday, January 30, 2010

Brahms for sale and The Nose

This week I received two great leads:

1) William Kentridge’s set design for the Shostakovich Opera “The Nose” will be at The Metropolitan Opera in February
2) Amazon.com was having a sale on a collection called “The 99 Most Essential Brahms Masterpieces” for 1.99 (Now that it is OFF sale it is a bank-breaking $5.99)

I have already lined up nearly the worst seats in the house for a performance of The Nose. I know that the $20 dollar tickets aren’t ideal, but this is my first Opera experience and I am excited for it!

The Brahms collection is actually excellent. At 6 dollars I think it is still a very smart buy! The more I listen the more I find themes that I have heard throughout my life. After Beethoven, it is a welcome change to have the broad sweeping romantic tones of Brahms.

Having started with Bach, then to Beethoven now Brahms, I now feel like I am getting at least a broad sense of the lineage of these towering figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment