Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Revelation in 9 discs: Wilhelm Kempff Beethoven Piano Sonatas

Up until this point I haven’t felt deeply connected with much of the music I have been listening to as part of Year of Classical. I enjoy it, I embrace it, but I am still at a distance from its power. That is until I got my hands on the 9 Disc set of Wilhelm Kempff’s performance of Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas. They truly are a revelation. In each I find more texture and personality. Still, as a newbie to all this and someone with no music training, it is difficult for me to hear the composers voice and the pianists choices.
I have only had the opportunity to pay close attention to the first 12, which are from his early period. In each piece, I can find things to get excited about. Some are fanciful and some are sad and all seem to be written for a master.
As my Beethoven Introduction/Indoctrination continues, I will say that I longed for some soul music while watching the PBS documentary Sam Cooke: Crossing Over this past weekend. Luckily the hour show gave me enough Sam Cooke for a bit, but I am certain I will need to listen to some more soon. I would absolutely recommend the documentary and the whole Sam Cooke catalog. No song has ever affected me as much as A Change is Gonna Come.

No comments:

Post a Comment