Friday, March 5, 2010

Opera : All I ever knew was Elmer Fudd

In preparation to see Shostakovich’s The Nose at the Metroplitan Opera with set designs by William Kentridge (There are some good links on the met site relating to Kentridge), I have been listening to the music as conducted by Valery Gergiev. I have enjoyed it, but I know that this is not “traditional” opera so to speak.

The Merola Opera Program was kind enough to send me their Merola 50th Anniversary CD. I want to thank them for this kind contribution to the yearofclassical project. It has given me a nice primer for a variety of operas and styles, but man will I need more help. I will listen to any and all suggestions from the peanut gallery. Please educate me.

I am finding myself enjoying the music far more than I thought I would. Yogi Berra references aside, I am looking forward to hearing the fat lady (or man) sing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I'll be singing in the Merola program this summer and saw your blog through a posting of theirs. To better educate myself as a singer, I spent a few months simply going through the opera composers, alphabetically by last name. The repertoire can be completely overwhelming! Good luck with your experiment. I look forward to following your blog. :-)

    www.TheAthleticPerformer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete