Friday, October 15, 2010

Why I havent been blogging and have been listening: A recap and mea culpa at the 9 month mark.


Over the past month, the birth of my sons (Twins!) has derailed my formal “Year of Living Classically” experiment but certainly has not stopped me from listening. I have tried to play classical for the boys, sometimes with more success than others. We have found that they really like reggae, although it may be that they just love my singing.

When I began this process, it was intended to help me learn about classical. I do NOT get my 2 hours in a day any longer, but I do make an effort to spend some portion of my day listening to or at least reading about classical music.

I bit off more than I could chew, or listen to. That’s certain. Still it has opened doors and for that I am certainly glad. My guess is that for the next few months this blog will morph into an occasional posting of what my boys enjoyed listening to most. There was a particularly fussy night that began with Glenn Gould, but I do NOT blame Gould. If there is a repeat performance, we will reevaluate.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Just discovered your blog. I did a similar "year of classical" a couple of years ago, though much less formally than you, and I never did a blog about it.

    In my case, I inherited about 500-600 classical music records all at once and decided I'd listen to one of two of them each day over the course of a year. I didn't know much about classical before the experiment and learned quite a lot through listening.

    Interestingly enough, we ended up liking a lot of the same things: Glenn Gould, Erik Satie, Beethoven, Shostakovich. Anyway, thanks for writing this blog!

    ReplyDelete